Monday, August 9, 2010

Vegetarianism: More than Tofu!

After having to endure a certain conversation today let me offer a few words about vegetarianism: As a vegetarian I don't simply make a recipe but replace the meat with tofu. I don't eat garden salads all the time. (I rarely eat lettuce.) No, I do not eat chicken or fish. Yes, right now I sometimes will eat an egg or some cheese though I prefer not to. Work occasionally requires me to attend lunch meetings and the vegetarian options in the restaurants here are extremely limited (basically omelettes, nachos or salad). This makes me an ovo-lacto vegetarian.

You can be vegetarian and have very exciting food options. It's a hell of a lot more than a slab of tofu with veggies and potatoes. Tofu makes up a small part of my diet. I eat various types of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, etc. I experiment with recipes and spices. I think outside the "North American" ideals of how we should eat. I love trying dishes from different cultures and find that India is an especially great source for vegetarian friendly fare. Best of all, nothing has to die.

You want to know what I eat? Ask me! Don't assume!

For supper I made an amazing fusilli in a white wine and tomato sauce with kalmata olives and artichoke hearts mixed in. My diet is anything but boring.

Have a great evening!

No comments: